Observations: autopkgtests and git-dpm

There are two phenomena I noticed in our packages recently:

0) Failing autopkgtests

I've seen some packages uploaded with (new) "Testsuite:
autopkgtest-pkg-perl" fields in d/control which then failed
immediately when they hit ci.debian.net, which might imply that the
autopkgtests haven't been run locally before the upload.

I'm aware that the Testsuite field is often not added manually but
comes from dh-make-perl or cme or a faulty mass-commit done by me 2
years ago.

Still, it's a bit unpleasant when untested failing autopkgtests have
to be fixed after the fact. So I'd like to ask everyone to check for
the existence of the Testsuite header and run the autopkgtests before
uploading, or ask someone else to run them. And personally I think
that not introducing a "Testsuite: autopkgtest-pkg-perl" (yet) is
better then uploading an untested claim.

But maybe opinions on this point differ?

Documentation: https://perl-team.pages.debian.net/autopkgtest.html

1) git-dpm

To my surprise, in the last months we have gained 4 packages which
(seem to) use git-dpm:

-rw-rw-r-- 1 gregoa gregoa 294 Apr  3 18:08 libdbix-fulltextsearch-perl/debian/.git-dpm
-rw-rw-r-- 1 gregoa gregoa 314 Jul  3 17:34 libfuse-perl/debian/.git-dpm
-rw-rw-r-- 1 gregoa gregoa 294 Jul  2 19:38 libtie-hash-indexed-perl/debian/.git-dpm
-rw-rw-r-- 1 gregoa gregoa 284 Jul  2 21:39 libunix-mknod-perl/debian/.git-dpm

(libdbix-fulltextsearch-perl has patches unapplied und `quilt push'
works so the .git-dpm file might be a historic artifact; the other
three have patches applied.)

IMO this is not in line with our group practices; we've been using
plain quilt with patches unapplied in git since a long time, except
for a short experiment with git-debcherry in 3 or 4 packages from
2014-2017. [0]

I think that having a group of packages that behave differently and
the requirement to learn Yet Another Tool is counter-productive to
the aim of maintaining a huge set of packages together. And in case
people think we should reconsider our patch-handling policy, I think
this needs to be discussed first on the list and/or at the BoF at
DebConf next week.

Personally I'd like to ask the Uploaders of above packages (BCC'd) to
"convert" the packages, or to start a discussion here or at the BoF.

What do others think?

[0] written documentation is a bit thin:
https://perl-team.pages.debian.net/git.html#Patches comes closest to
a "just use quilt" policy;
https://lists.debian.org/debian-perl/2017/08/msg00048.html mentions
near the bottom the end of the git-debcherry experiment

--
 .''`.  https://info.comodo.priv.at -- Debian Developer https://www.debian.org
 `. `'  Member VIBE!AT & SPI Inc. -- Supporter Free Software Foundation Europe