Re: Alien::*

Hi Joenio,

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 06:05:32PM -0300, Joenio Costa wrote:
> On 20-09-2016 13:45, Joenio Costa wrote:
> > As upstream Perl developer, every time I need some external tool I can
> > declare a dependency using Alien::* namespace. As a Debian pkg-perl
> > developer packaging some peace of module I no need to interpret external
> > tool dependency to declare it in debian/control manually. I declare
> > dependencies in debian/control the same way the upstream do.
>
> If it's not make sense let me know, that way I'll look another way to solve
> my issue.

this may be a language issue, but I don't understand what you're arguing
here - please explain your point again if my answer is not about what
you're asking!

When you have a CPAN module that you want to package for Debian
and that depends on other Alien::* modules, you would change those
dependencies to point directly to the Debian package of the binary or
library you want to use, and patch out the calls to Alien::

For example, if your new CPAN module needs Alien::xz, you would add
'xz-utils' to both Depends: and Build-Depends: and patch out all 'use
Alien::xz', 'Alien::xz->bin_dir' and '%{xz}', as you can safely assume
that xz is called xz and is already in your $PATH.

Yes this may seem like extra work, but it will usually be
straight-forward and it saves Debian an additional package that does
nothing in the best case, and otherwise does scary stuff like
downloading and building something on the users's machine that
duplicates code and perhaps security issues already minded elsewhere in
Debian.

Florian