Re: questions before uploading libdbd-oracle-perl

On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 02:44:53 +0100, Alex Muntada wrote:

> this is the first time I have to upload something to Debian
> archive (I have some previous experience with Launchpad PPAs)

Yay!
(I've just set the acl to allow you to upload libdbd-oracle-perl.)

> * I built the amd64 package only since it took me a long while
>   to get Oracle 12 running on unstable. Can I upload amd64 now
>   and i386 later if I manage to eventually build it too?

Yes, you can do a binary-only build on other architectures later and
upload the .debs.

>   How
>   should I document that only amd64 is available right now?

I don't think is necessary or possible to "document" this. It just
will be this way :)

>   Please, note that it was removed[1] from testing on Aug 2014
>   so I feel like having amd64 at least would improve the current
>   statu quo.

Agreed.

> * Would it be better to upload to experimental first? No tests
>   failed in DBD::Oracle, some were skipped though.

I don't think so; the current package in unstable is not usable, so
everything else will be better. And my experience is that packages in
experimental hardly get any usage. -- If you know that somebody will
actively test it, the situation might be different.

> * Should I add myself to Uploaders in d/control or there's no
>   need since the current maintainer is our team and I'm going
>   to make a team upload anyway?

It's not strictly needed but I think it makes sense in this case
since you are the one handling this package now and hopefully in the
future :)
(And then you don't need to add the "Team upload." line to
d/changelog.)

> * NMG says[2] that "urgency shouldn't be changed to anything
>   higher than low." but d/changelog already has urgency=medium.

Sounds like the NMG is outdated; since some time, dch uses medium per
default (except for new packages), after the release team changed
their default, IIRC.

>   Should I lower it or keep it at medium?

In general I'd keep it, unless we want to give it 10 instead of 5
days of testing in unstable before it reaches testing.

> * I guess that it doesn't make sense to enable autopkgtest in
>   libdbd-oracle-perl since it has a Depends that's not in the
>   archive (oracle-instantclient12.1-basic or basiclite).

Ack.

> * Finally, bug 759324[3] is about this package having conflicts
>   with perl 5.20. I suppose I should not close that bug and
>   eventually make a backport of the package to jessie, which
>   still uses perl 5.20 and we'll be around for a while?

I would close the bug in the changelog, for several reasons:
- In general because the BTS is good at correlating versions to bugs.
- In this case the bug title is a bit misleading, it should more be
  "libdbd-oracle-perl needs a manual rebuild against the perl version
  in unstable" or "libdbd-oracle-perl is uninstallable in
  testing/unstable", and this problem will be fixed by the upload.
- The fact that libdbd-oracle-perl is not in stable is a separate
  problem / the question if you want to provide a backport for stable
  is a different question IMO.

> Thanks a lot,
> Alex

Thanks to you for your work!

 .''`.  Homepage https://info.comodo.priv.at/ - OpenPGP key 0xBB3A68018649AA06
 : :' : Debian GNU/Linux user, admin, and developer -  https://www.debian.org/
   `-   NP: Kurt Ostbahn & Die Kombo: (No a) Defekt