Re: tool to install dist::zilla author deps: extend dpt or dzil ?

On Saturday, 10 December 2016 18:14:30 CET Axel Beckert wrote:
> I wonder if that would be a good addition to dh-dist-zilla. It
> already contains some helpers related to using dzil under a debian
> environment.

Too late :-), This ship has sailed [1]

I want to also help people to try a dzil'ed Perl module from a repo.
In this case a dzil subcommand is easier for them to find.

That said feel free to invokde 'dzil installdebs' from dh-dist-zilla or to reuse code.

> Those helpers are not implemented as subcommand though, but you made
> me curious to check if that might be a nicer way that the current.

Sub-commands have pros:
* less command name  pollution (which you kinda avoid with dh- prefix)
* easier for user to find what's available (typ dzil alone for instance)
* less boilerplate for all your commands (which help for maintenance.
cme is much easier to deal with than old config-edit)

and some cons:
* ramp-up cost (with App::Cmd for instance)
* more work to get bash auto-completion

HTH

[1] https://github.com/dod38fr/dist-zilla-app-command-authordebs

--