Re: Perl MIDI::ALSA module Debian Linux package

On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 09:38:03 +0100, Andy wrote:

> I'm writing to you as I saw that you currently maintain the libmidi-perl
> Debian package.

This is not entirely true; the package is maintained by the Debian
Perl Group, I just happen to be the only person currently in the
Uploaders field :)

Cc'ing debian-perl@lists.debian.org to get the team involved.

And for future reference:
https://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/howto/RFP.html

> I'm missing a Debian package of the Perl MIDI::ALSA module [1] and was
> wondering if this is something you could package up for Debian?
> [1] http://search.cpan.org/~pjb/MIDI-ALSA-1.20/ALSA.pm

I just had a look at packaging it [0]; there are no big obstacles but
what keeps me from uploading is that the test suite fails quite
spectacularly

PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 PERL_USE_UNSAFE_INC=1 "/usr/bin/perl" "-Iblib/lib" "-Iblib/arch" test.pl
1..57
ALSA lib seq_hw.c:466:(snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: No such file or directory
can't open sequencer
# To run all tests, four virmidi clients are needed...
# You might need to add the line:
#    modprobe snd_virmidi enable=1   # to create 4 virmidi ports
# to your  /etc/rc.local  :-)

when building as usual in a chroot.

This means we either have to butcher the test.pl to run only tests
which don't need kernel modules and devices or that we have to skip
it or ignore the failures. Unless someone else has a better idea …

[0]
Vcs-Browser: https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-perl/packages/libmidi-alsa-perl.git
Vcs-Git: https://anonscm.debian.org/git/pkg-perl/packages/libmidi-alsa-perl.git

 .''`.  Homepage https://info.comodo.priv.at/ - OpenPGP key 0xBB3A68018649AA06
 : :' : Debian GNU/Linux user, admin, and developer -  https://www.debian.org/
   `-   NP: Josh With: Friendless city blues