Alien::*

Hi Joenio,

I see that you've updated or added
  - libalien-autotools-perl
  - libalien-base-perl
  - libshell-guess-perl
to our git repos, where

- libalien-autotools-perl is new and at "unstable";
- libalien-base-perl is at "UNRELEASED" and was originally packaged
  by C.J. Collier, and the changelog still has my notes that the
  package was not needed at that time; and
- libshell-guess-perl is at "unstable" and also originally packaged
  by C.J. Collier

Before I take a closer look at the packages, I'd like to check if and
what for they are needed. libshell-guess-perl looks harmless in
general, so no objections if it's needed for something (which turned
out not to be the case some time ago).

The whole Alien::* namespace make me a bit unhappy. As I understand
it the purpose is to download and build "alien", i.e. non-CPAN,
software, and that's something we neither need nor want in Debian. --
I know that we already have some Alien::* pieces but I'd rather not
add more unless it's really necessary.

libalien-autotools-perl's description e.g. says:
 Alien::Autotools looks for minimum versions of the tools that make up the
 "GNU build system": autoconf, automake, and libtool. For each tool that is not
 found or below the minimum version, it is downloaded, compiled and installed
 it to the Alien-Autotools distribution's shared directory.

That's not necessary in Debian, and probably also won't happen due to
the dependencies you already added. If Alien::Autotools is a
dependency of something else you'd like to package, then I suggest to
check if it can be patched out there and replaced with proper
dependencies on autoconf, automake, and libtool. Otherwise I think at
least the description should be updated to say that the package just
pulls in the dependencies (instead of the build+download part).

As for Alien::Base, I also hope we can avoid at :)

Happy to hear what others think about the Alien::* situation!

 .''`.  Homepage https://info.comodo.priv.at/ - OpenPGP key 0xBB3A68018649AA06
 : :' : Debian GNU/Linux user, admin, and developer -  https://www.debian.org/
   `-   NP: Michael Penn: Whole Truth