Re: Process for removing a package?

-=| Robin Sheat, 26.01.2015 17:57:49 +1300 |=-
> Hi, I've just updated Log::Any from upstream (because some stuff I've
> been doing needs the new version.) It seems that Log::Any::Adapter has
> now been absorbed into Log::Any, and so liblog-any-adapter-perl should
> be removed around the same time that liblog-any-perl is uploaded as
> they'll conflict.
>
> Is there a system for doing this?

Such transitions can be tricky.

Developers' Reference section 5.9.3[1] deals with replacing/renaming
packages.

 [1] https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.html#s5.9.3

I think the following should work:

In liblog-any-perl 1.03
-----------------------
 * Declare Replaces/Breaks liblog-any-adapter-perl (<< 1.03~)

In liblog-any-adapter-perl 1.03
-------------------------------
 * becomes a dummy transitional package (no content, long description
   adjusted), produced by the liblog-any-perl source package.
 * Depends: liblog-any-perl (= ${source:Version})

liblog-any-perl 1.03 is uploaded. This will lead to the automatic
removal of the liblog-any-adapter-perl source package.

Bugs (preferably with patches) are filed against all packages
depending on liblog-any-adapter-perl. They need to change their
(build-) dependencies to liblog-any-perl (>= 1.03~) ||
liblog-any-adapter-perl (<< 1.03~). When these bugs are fixed and no
packages depend on liblog-any-adapter-perl any more, the transitional
liblog-any-adapter-perl package is dropped from the liblog-any-perl
source package.

Not sure if having Breaks in liblog-any-perl for all the
reverse-dependencies, breaking versions from before their dependencies
were adjusted makes sense. It seems so at first, but I can't remember
doing this before.

Sounds quite a bit like a bureaucracy, but this makes sure there are
no breakages in other packages.

Apply with a grain of salt, as I haven't done such transitions lately
:)

-- dam