Re: RfC: Moving not-pkg-perl-team-specific lintian tests from pkg-perl-tools to lintian proper

On Mon, 18 May 2015 17:35:07 +0200, Niels Thykier wrote:

> On 2015-05-18 17:07, gregor herrmann wrote:

> >> With regards to library-package-name-for-application and
> >> application-in-library-section, I've set "Certainty: possible"
> > I'd rather rate it as "wild guess" :)
> >> But yes, those tests will generate false positives and I currently
> >> have no idea how to reduce the amount of false positives noticably.
> > Me neither, sorry.
> Based on this remark, I suspect "wild-guess" is indeed better.

Ok.

> Do you think that more data be helpful here?  I.e. if we collected a
> full run worth of data from lintian.d.o, do you think we could increase
> the reliability of the tag?

I'll let Axel answer this question; personally I'm a bit skeptical
that more data alone will show anything new; I guess we have to think
about the logic a bit more (currently it basically checks for
anything in $PATH).

> I must admit that I am a bit concerned about adding (more) wild-guess
> tags.  They can quickly become a drain on resources because they can
> trivially receive a lot of bugs to fix false-positive.

*nod*

> >> I presume the same issue holds for these.
> > Well, packages with Module::Build::Tiny would just explode instead of
> > build without the fix in debhelper 9.20140227. Currently this is no
> > issue as long as a debhelper version >= stable is used but until a
> > few weeks ago the then stable version was not enough and the check
> > helpful. - Since this still affects potential backports to oldstable
> > I would personally keep it.
> While it is certainly /not/ a blocker, the concern from my PoV is that
> the expected life time of these tags are now less than a year and not
> relevant to unstable/testing.
>   Unless the merge (plus release) happens "really soon(tm)", we might be
> a in a position where we spend time moving the tag only to find it
> obsolete by the time it is deployed.

Ok, I see this point about obsolescence.

> >> Ok.  Please:
> >>  * Chose a more descriptive tag name.  Maybe:
> >>    "mentions-deprecated-usr-lib-perl5-dir"
> > Hm, deprecated is not exactly true in my understanding, is not used
> > anymore.
> If it is not used anymore, then perhaps
> "mentions-obsolete-usr-lib-perl5" or maybe
> "references-unused-usr-lib-perl5" ?

I guess 'obsolete' was the word I was looking for in vain :)
'references' might be a bit more precise then 'mentions', so, in best
bikeshedding mode, I'd suggest 'references-obsolete-...' :)

 : :' : Debian GNU/Linux user, admin, and developer -  https://www.debian.org/
   `-   NP: Opus: Flying High