Re: RfC: Moving not-pkg-perl-team-specific lintian tests from pkg-perl-tools to lintian proper

Hi Gregor,

thanks for your insight!

gregor herrmann wrote:
> On Fri, 15 May 2015 21:32:29 +0200, Axel Beckert wrote:
> > My main movation is to get the check application-not-library with the
> > following tags into lintian:
> > * libapp-perl-package-name
> > * library-package-name-for-application
> > * application-in-library-section
>
> I'm seeing quite a few false positives with those checks;

I assume that you don't include libapp-perl-package-name in that
statement. I consider that tag to be quite precise: "Certainty:
certain"

With regards to library-package-name-for-application and
application-in-library-section, I've set "Certainty: possible" and
currently expect people to add overrides if the check is wrong:

  In case the program in $PATH is only a helper tool and the package is
  primarily a library, please add a lintian override for this tag.

But yes, those tests will generate false positives and I currently
have no idea how to reduce the amount of false positives noticably.

> but as long as they stay at the experimental level I have no
> objections :)

Of course the idea is that we can remove the experimental flag at some
time, hence I'm happy about ideas how to reduce the amount of false
positives.

> For the other checks, I think
> - the severity might be lowered on some of them
>   (not everything is a horrible error even if we don't want it in the
>   perl group)

Thanks for that hint. I think it especially applies to the check if
the Perl Module name is present in the package description.

> - the CDBS ones would probably benefit from a review by Jonas
>   (I tried to pick the correct versions from cdbs' changelog but I
>   might have been wrong somewhere)

Ok, will either not included before Jonas reviewed it or mark it as
experimental.

		Regards, Axel
--
 ,''`.  |  Axel Beckert <abe@debian.org>, http://people.debian.org/~abe/
: :' :  |  Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin