Re: Test::Tester and Test::use::ok merged into Test-Simple

On Tue, 21 Apr 2015 21:46:23 +0300, Niko Tyni wrote:

> >From Test-Simple 1.001010 Changes:
>     * Integrate Test::Tester and Test::use::ok for easier downgrade from trial

Thanks for noticing!

> There are 36 packages in the archive build-depending on
> libtest-use-ok-perl (none of them versioned), and 20 packages
> build-depending on libtest-tester-perl (3 of them versioned.)

% reverse-depends -b libtest-tester-perl
Reverse-Build-Depends-Indep
===========================
* libnumber-tolerant-perl
* libtest-autoloader-perl
* libtest-base-perl
* libtest-cleannamespaces-perl
* libtest-deep-perl
* libtest-json-perl
* libtest-kwalitee-perl
* libtest-log-dispatch-perl
* libtest-minimumversion-perl
* libtest-nobreakpoints-perl
* libtest-nowarnings-perl
* libtest-output-perl
* libtest-spelling-perl
* libtest-trap-perl
* libtest-version-perl
* libtest-warnings-perl
* libtest-www-declare-perl

Reverse-Build-Depends
=====================
* libtest-filename-perl
* libtest-rdf-perl
* libtype-tiny-perl

All maintained by us.

> Runtime dependencies are much fewer: 3 for libtest-tester-perl (one of
> them versioned) and just one (unversioned) for libtest-use-ok-perl.

% reverse-depends libtest-tester-perl
Reverse-Depends
since.)

> Assuming we can't use versioned Provides [1] it looks like we'll have to
>  1) update all the versioned reverse (build and runtime) dependencies to either
>     drop the version or include an alternative, like
>        Build-Depends: libtest-tester-perl (>= xxx) | libtest-simple-perl (>= 1.001010)

I'd rather turn it around from the beginning and upload
libtest-simple-perl and all the above packaged packages at once. In
the worst case they're uninstallable in unstable for a day but that's
acceptable IMO.

>  2) upload a new libtest-simple-perl which
>        Provides:  libtest-simple-perl, libtest-use-ok-perl
>        Replaces:  libtest-simple-perl, libtest-use-ok-perl
>        Conflicts: libtest-simple-perl, libtest-use-ok-perl

# s/libtest-simple-perl/libtest-tester-perl/g

Some thoughts:
- I think it should be Breaks and not Conflicts. Or maybe not, a
  constant headache question :)
- If we upload all rdeps we can skip the Provides; OTOH it doesn't
  hurt and might for local packages or derivatives.
- I guess we don't need dummy packages since we can fix all rdeps.

And 3) remove libtest-tester-perl libtest-use-ok-perl.

> Note that Test-Simple is also a dual life module, so I suppose perl 5.22
> packages will have to Provide and Break both libtest-tester-perl and
> libtest-use-ok-perl. (Does the Breaks part work if libtest-simple-perl
> Provides them?)

If all rdeps are fixed we might be able to skip the Provides here as
well.
I think (policy 7.5.) the Breaks should work if it's versioned as
then the virtual package Provided by libtest-simple-perl is ignored.

> So maybe we should go straight for
>        Build-Depends: libtest-tester-perl (>= xxx) | libtest-simple-perl (>= 1.001010) | perl (>= 5.21.6)
> or some variant thereof.

Ack. I'd just switch the first two again.
(And if we have versioned Provides by then we can drop the perl
part.)

 : :' : Debian GNU/Linux user, admin, and developer -  https://www.debian.org/
   `-   NP: U2: Walk On