Package renaming: "When to move the git repository?" and other questions

Hi,

our package ack-grep is named "ack" or "ack2" upstream and only named
"ack-grep" in Debian and derivatives because there was another package
named ack in Debian long before ack-grep showed up:

https://packages.qa.debian.org/a/ack.html

The "other" ack got removed last year and won't be part of Jessie, so
we can rename "our" ack-grep back to just "ack". This will make also
upstream happy who partially had adventurous "tricks" in his FAQ on
how to rename ack-grep in Debian back to "ack". Some of them even
caused nasty bugs for those who followed them, e.g.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ack-grep/+bug/1385390 and
https://bugs.debian.org/776251

While it's rather easy to rename the binary package and add the proper
Breaks, Replaces and maybe Provides(*), I wonder about the following
things:

* Which is the proper moment to move our git repository from
  packages/ack-grep.git to packages/ack.git?

* Or do we copy it and keep the old repo until the last (then)
  oldstable package with the old name is phased out?

* Which is the proper moment to reassign all potentially open bugs
  from ack-grep to ack? (Currently a philosophical question as there
  are currently no open bug reports against ack-grep. But I still
  wonder about it. :-)

* Given the questions above: Shall we rename both, binary and source
  package or only the binary package?

  The latter would have the advantage that we don't have to rename our
  ack-grep git repository, but would clearly add confusion wrt. why
  the source and binary package names are not the same.

Any insight?

(*) The only reverse dependency of ack-grep is padre. And I've just
    updated its dependency list. Hence I think we don't need a
    Provides.

		Regards, Axel
--
 ,''`.  |  Axel Beckert <abe@debian.org>, http://people.debian.org/~abe/
: :' :  |  Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin