Re: Building packages recursively, including newer versions of modules

On Sat, 2014-12-27 at 02:39 +0100, gregor herrmann wrote:
> And/or if there are actual bugs in the version in unstable, please
> file them in the Debian BTS -- of course patches are always welcome
> but just documenting deficiences is a great start.

Okay, so in the end I've filed them all in BTS, along with patches. For
completeness, this is a summary, with the controversial ones at the end.

I've applied all of these patches to the version of dh-make-perl in
CPAN, and then successfully created all the debs required for installing
Dancer2 on Wheezy, so they seem to work well for me.

774068 - Prevent perllocal.pod files being created. Not a problem with
the version of ExtUtils::MakeMaker shipped with Debian, but this
prevents it happening if another version has been installed

774070 - Wrong Git repo is sometimes used when building recursively,
resulting in "A branch named 'master' already exists"

774071 - Unlikely to happen, but no check is made when renaming already
existing build directories

774072 - Install options fails because of wrong path to .deb

774073 - Installing a package of a core module fails with "trying to
overwrite foo which is also in bar". This patch adds the "replaces"
control to the resultant .deb

774074 - This is the main problem that I had with the recursive option.
The version numbers are not checked when the package already exists.
This patch checks the version number as well. As per the bug report
text, it relies on DPKG::Parse::Available and associated RT patch 69920,
but the module appears to be unmaintained. Happy to discuss options here
as required.

Thanks!

Andy