Re: Building packages recursively, including newer versions of modules

Sorry, just picking up on this again now:

On Thu, 2014-12-04 at 12:54 +0100, Axel Beckert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> gregor herrmann wrote:
> > I'm afraid both cpan2deb (i.e. dh-make-perl's --build option) as well
> > as --recursive are not much tested as probably not many people are
> > using it.
>
> Hrm. I never noticed the --recursive option, but since cpan2deb exists
> for much longer than cpan2dsc (which I created because I was surprised
> it didn't exist yet), I had expected that it's used not that seldom.
>
> Andrew Beverley wrote:
> > >
> > > Not sure if this counts as a recommendation :) but I guess most of us
> > > just either create new or update existing packages one-by-one.
> >
> > Thanks for the prompt reply. Part of the reason for asking the question
> > was to see if I'd missed anything obvious. If the answer is no, then
> > that's fine!
> >
> > I did start building them individually, but it started to feel like a
> > recursive loop...
>
> Hrm, backporting newer versions from Testing or Unstable is out of
> scope? (If they exist of course -- which I would expect if they are
> only Dancer2 dependencies.)

I hadn't thought of backporting, but I'm wondering whether it might turn
out to be more hassle than it's worth, given the number of dependencies
that would need to be backported? There are literally dozens of them.

> For your own repo you could work with pure rebuilds or -- if the
> dependencies are satisfiable in Wheezy -- just include the packages
> from Testing/Unstable.

I've just built a Dancer2 package now (I realise it's currently already
in testing, but given its rate of change, I want some flexibility over
the version).

I installed it using dpkg, added the testing repos, and tried apt-get -f
install to automatically pull-in the dependencies. Whilst this looked
like it would work, it did want to upgrade a huge number of packages,
all the way to the Apache and Perl core packages. I'd rather avoid that
many changes if possible.

So, I thought I'd try the --recursive option again. I've identified a
few problems, which I've fixed locally with various hacks. I'd welcome
some discussion on these: is here a good place, or should I just open
tickets on RT?

Thanks,

Andy