Re: libinline-java-perl: a Jessie-targeted branch

Hi Gregor, and Peter and others,

Quoting gregor herrmann (2014-11-25 17:02:29)
> On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 16:36:28 +0200, Peter Pentchev wrote:
> > Okay, so now a couple of stuff is fixed in master and

> I guess Jonas won't like commit 6c488a2 ("Depend on debhelper >> 8 to
> appease Lintian."), if I remember his preferences correctly.

Don't worry - apply those changes if you believe they are relevant.

I might look at it later and decide to revert if I believe (as I
commonly do) that lintian is mistaken and there is no actual benefit
from tightening compatibility level and/or package versioning - only the
potential added hassle for backporters.

...but as said, don't worry: Don't let the risk of potential future
differing views of fellow developers stop you :-D

>> I've imported 0.56 - it only seems to contain the croak("%s", ...)
>> fix from the RC bug.  However, I do not have access to mips
>> porterboxen; maybe somebody who does could try a build of
>> libinline-java-perl from the Git repo?
>
> I did this twice, and it's a bit time consuming. Since there are
> hardly any changes between 0.55 and 0.56 [0], I don't expect any
> significant changes. OTOH since the package is not in testing and I
> don't expect any regressions over the version in unstable either, I
> think we could just upload it to sid and see what the buildds say. At
> least it fixes some bugs, so it's an improvement in any case.
>
> But since this is one of Jonas' package, I'd rather leave the decision
> and upload to him (although I'm happy to help of course).

Please do not frame the package as "mine": It is team-maintained!

I guess what you really mean is that you feel uncomfortable with stuff
speficic to CDBS - just as I am uncomfortable with stuff specific to
short-form dh.  I am happy to help finalize and release CDBS-based
packages, and am grateful that you do same for short-form dh packages in
this team.

 - Jonas