Re: upstream-vcs

Hi,

gregor herrmann wrote (26 Dec 2013 17:48:17 GMT) :
> On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 16:30:13 +0100, intrigeri wrote:
>> It's probably quite doable to have mr do this for us (ideally, in both
>> git_checkout and git_update, so that info added into debian/upstream
>> after my initial clone is used).

> I guess the "remote add" part should be covered when the scripts I
> added are good enough for everyday use.

OK. I've just run "dpt upstream-repo" on a bunch of repositories,
and have not experienced any problems with it.

> Adding the "fetch" part to our fancy .mrconfig sounds like a good
> idea!

> At least for the _update part,

IMO this would definitely a great next step.

> not sure if the _checkout needs it as
> well and it could grow a bit complicated; but this could call
> dpt-upstream-repo, if we want this "depencency".

I've been doing such things in my personal .mrconfig for years, and am
quite happy with it. I actually have things in there that are waaaay
more complicated than just calling dpt-upstream-repo at _checkout
time :]

The only concern I would have (about calling dpt-upstream-repo) is
that it sometimes modifies the just-cloned repo (creating
debian/upstream/metadata) and commits, which feels quite surprising
semantics to me: I generally expect to get a local HEAD in the same
state as the one on the remote repo I've just cloned.

Perhaps we could run dpt-upstream-repo with an option that instructs
it to not modify the repo? That is, it would read information from
whatever source is readily available (debian/copyright,
debian/upstream/metadata), but it would *not* run dpt debian-upstream.

Alternatively, we could mitigate this problem by running "dpt
debian-upstream" on all packages once for all, and at initial
packaging / take over time as well. If 95% of packages had
debian/upstream/metadata, then we could keep things simple, avoid
modifying dpt-upstream-repo, and always call it at _checkout time.

> And for _update: this should be something like
> if git remote show | grep -qx upstream-repo; then git fetch upstream-repo; fi
> added to our git_update() definition, right?

Yeah. Want to do a test run?

Cheers!
--
  intrigeri