Re: Packages with 5+ years of pending changes

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 12:40 PM, Daniel Lintott <daniel@serverb.co.uk> wrote:
> On 24/02/14 16:45, Mario Lang wrote:
>> A quick look at duck.debian.net revealed that a lot of the URL
>> check failures (roughly 700) are due to packages From pkg-perl.
>> While looking at a few samples, I found some packages which had
>> already fixed Vcs-* fields in the git repo but were never uploaded,
>> still UNRELEASED.  Some of the dates I saw were very old though, so
>> I thought I'd generate a list of pkg-perl repos which are
>> UNRELEASED (possibly carrying pending fixes) with a rather old
>> change date.  It turns out that there are 107 packages that have a
>> change date of 5+ years ago and are still UNRELEASED.

(Disclaimer: I'm usually wrong about everything.)

Here be dragons.  I just went through the exercise of fixing a few FTBFS
problems in cpan packages in a private git + apt repo, and was reminded
again how dynamic language repositories such as cpan, rubygems,
and the like are very unstable; updating one package may trigger
the need for a large number of other updates, and may break a number
of packages that depend on them.

Success probably depends on having a good test suite of some sort,
and on being willing to remove some seldom-used packages from the repo.

Good luck!
- Dan