Re: RFC: debhelper changes for perl module packages -- AUTOMATED_TESTING and verbose tests

-=| Daniel Kahn Gillmor, 10.09.2013 14:38:06 -0400 |=-
> On 09/10/2013 02:27 PM, Damyan Ivanov wrote:
>
> > I want to propose the following two changes in the perl-related
> > debhelper support. I am also willing to write the patches, but before
> > I try that, I want to discuss this a bit, as it would affect all of
> > the group's packages.
> >
> >  * export AUTOMATED_TESTING=1 when invoking the test system
> >
> > This would follow the recommendations of the Lancaster consensus and
> > should generally help upstream help us.
> >
> >  * run tests in verbose mode
> >
> > this would help in situations where a sub-test hangs, and the buildd
> > kills it. Knowing after which sub-test the hang happens is useful
> > debugging clue. Also, having the diagnostic messages that are shown
> > only in verbose mode can be useful.
> >
> > This has the drawback of enlarging the build log, but I don't think
> > this is a serious concern.
>
> I don't really understand "the Lancaster consensus", but what you're
> proposing to do sounds reasonable to me.  Thanks for thinking about
> this, and for offering to work on it.

Sorry, my bad. Here's a quote:

 At the first Perl QA Hackathon in 2008 in Oslo, a number of QA and
 toolchain authors, maintainers and experts came together to agree on
 some common standards and practices. This became known as
 "The Oslo Consensus".

 Five years later, at the 2013 Perl QA Hackathon, a similar brain
 trust came together to address new issues requiring consensus.

 These decisions provide direction, but, as always, the speed of
 implementation will depend on the interests and availability of
 volunteers to do the work.

The full text is at:
http://www.dagolden.com/index.php/2098/the-annotated-lancaster-consensus/

The part I was referring to is under "Environment variables for
testing contexts"

-- dam