optimized bindings for data-like packages [Re: The State of the TimeZone in Debian]

[just to debian-perl, other Cc's dropped]

On 08/12/2013 01:46 PM, intrigeri wrote:

> We've investigated this solution with Gregor, and here's what we came
> up with (well, at least it's the best I could come up with from the
> notes I had -- Gregor, don't hesitate correcting me if needed):
>
> 1. Factor out tzsrc.meta generation into a dedicated sub, that's
>    called from sub action_download_olson.
> 2. Add a prebuild action that generates tzsrc.meta from local source
>    (probably by using
>    Time::OlsonTZ::Download->new_from_local_source), that in practice
>    will be provided by the tzdata source package.
> 3. Factor out Data.pm etc. generation from build data: build data
>    tries to generate stuff we don't want. This results in a new
>    `build_Data.pm' prebuild action.
> 4. Upload to Debian a package called libtime-olsontz-data-perl-src,
>    that contains basically what you get after running `./prebuild
>    bare' + tzsrc.meta.
> 5. Have the tzdata source package build-depend on
>    libtime-olsontz-data-perl-src.
> 6. When building the tzdata package, build Data.pm using `./prebuild
>    build_Data.pm' and ship it in a Perl module directory.

wow, this seems complicated, but it's an interesting framework.  If it
was more formalized, i can imagine it being used for a few other
data-like software libraries that are in debian (e.g. publicsuffix and
its bindings in perl or other languages).

Has there been any thought to formalizing this sort of structure?

	--dkg