Re: Sponsorship for Math::Quaternion and File::Tee

On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 15:43:55 -0700, Dima Kogan wrote:

> > Hmm, have you added them via guide in[1]? It looks like they are
> > missing in our meta.git mrconfig.
> >
> >  [1]: http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/git.html#pushing_to_git_debian_org
> >
> > We have a meta.git repository, containing a .mrconfig to be able to
> > track all pkg-perl packages.
>
> The instructions say
>
> $ ../../alioth-git-repo
>
> I wasn't clear on where to get this (apt-file couldn't find it). Searching more
> thoroughly, it looks like it lives in pkg-perl/meta.git, as you say. The
> document didn't state this at all.

Oh, right, this is indeed missing.
BTW: The website is also maintained in git (in the website.git repo);
I guess you will find more things that are unclear, and you are
seeing them clearer now that we do -- maybe you could improve them,
or keep a least so we can do it together or somethng?

> What do you think about packaging those tools
> together with dh-make-perl? Even if the document was clear, I don't think it
> should be required to have to check out some git repo in order to push up the
> code "correctly". I can help with this.

I don't think dh-make-perl is the best place for these things but we
might consider a pkg-perl-tools package for group members (like other
packaging teams have it). So far we didn't see a huge need and/or
everyone was happy with having the tools in (svn earlier or) git but
this may change :)

> For the record, I used dh-make-perl to create the repo. This created an "origin"
> remote, but didn't actually create it on the server, which made "git push" not
> work. I then used "gbp-create-remote" to create the server repo and push it up.

Ok.

> Another nice thing to do would be to make gbp-create-remote recognize that it's
> pushing up to a particular project (pkg-perl in this case), and to do whatever
> extra work is needed. Then the individual teams wouldn't need to have different
> procedures. I know this involves more than just pkg-perl, but it could be a good
> goal. Thoughts?

Might be nice to have this centralized; but since different teams
have different needs (from directory layout to setting up hooks or
our .mrconfig fun) this would probably mean to maintain dozens of
different special cases in gbp. Or some hook infrastructure ... But
still, this means any changes have to go trough the gbp package,
whereas now we can just change something in our scripts ...

   `-   NP: Pink Floyd: Run Like Hell