Re: Net-Server 2.00x vs. Debian specific patches

Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote (07 Jun 2012 14:02:36 GMT) :
>> propagate port information across a HUP -- #624500, dkg
[...]
> i can confirm that this seems to be fixed with the new
> upstream version.

Great! Thanks for checking this.

>> IPv6 -- #523846, Carsten Wolff
>> ==============================
>>
>> Debian patches: 05_ipv6-support.patch and 06_cidr-workaround.patch
>>
>> Upstream added their own IPv6 support in 2.000.
[...]
>  0) default ipv to "*" instead of 4 in the debian package.  This causes
> us to diverge slightly from upstream, but it provides something closer
> to the current debian behavior to ease that transition.

>  1) add a NEWS entry that indicates the change in behavior

Given the Debian specific IPv6 behaviour lived less than 9 months old
in testing/sid, and was never released as part of a stable release,
I'm in favour of releasing Wheezy with a package that follows upstream
defaults, and documenting what these defaults are in NEWS for
testing/sid and backports users.

However, if we think ipv == "*" would be a better default, now is the
right time to discuss it upstream, because the discussion *is*
happening there: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=77569