Net-Server 2.00x vs. Debian specific patches

Hi there,

Context: given Net-Server was lacking a bit of maintenance upstream in
the last years, we've been shipping a more and more patched version of
it in Debian. Some of our patches fix issues but in a suboptimal way,
and sometimes even introduce bugs by themselves (e.g. #667737).

It looks like things have been improving a lot recently upstream:
a few releases were put out a week ago, that contain tons of new
features and bugfixes.

I've started to update libnet-server-perl to the last upstream code
(2.002). Bad news: none of our Debian specific patches applies cleanly
anymore. Good news: none of our Debian specific patches seems needed
anymore! But I'd like to confirm this with the patches authors.

The per-patch specifics follow, but the basic need I have with each of
these patches is to know if we can drop it, or if it needs to be
forward-ported somehow. The best that could happen would be that patch
authors (or whoever wants to) comes up with a simple test case that
demonstrates the behavior our patch fixed or implemented. This way,
I could easily check if the last upstream code is on par with what we
have been shipping. Alternatively, testing by hand the updated
(unreleased yet) code (from our packaging Git repository) and report
if it is up to the task would be acceptable :)

Without answers on these topics within a week from now, given the
freeze is coming soon, I intend to upload libnet-server-perl 2.002-1
without our patches, and see what happens.

Thoughts?

propagate port information across a HUP -- #624500, dkg

Debian patch: 08_propagate-dynamic-port-data-across-a-hup.patch

Net-Server 2.000's Changes entry reads: "Updates to the HUP mechanisms
to make sure we rebind all types of ports correctly."

IPv6 -- #523846, Carsten Wolff

Debian patches: 05_ipv6-support.patch and 06_cidr-workaround.patch

Upstream added their own IPv6 support in 2.000.

reap children -- RT#65891, Carsten Wolff

Debian patch: 03_rt-cpan-65891-reap-children.patch

Net-Server 2.000's Changes entry reads: "Don't loose track of fork and
prefork children on a hup - make sure to actively wait them off".

Cheers!
--
  intrigeri