Re: "Avoiding the vendor perl fad diet"

On 01/27/2012 02:24 PM, Michael Alan Dorman wrote:
"Stefan Hornburg (Racke)"<racke@linuxia.de>  writes:
However, if you use new and fast developing stuff like Dancer self-installed
Perl is probably the way to go. It's not that difficult either thanks to
Perlbrew, although you lack upgrades for security and serious bugs.

I disagree.  I'm developing an application in Dancer *right now*, using
the same strategy as always with no problems.  I simply do not see the
need for perlbrew.

On top of that, I maintain 25 servers---to have to deal with perlbrew on
*all* of them, in order to keep things in sync, etc.  *That* would be a
nightmare.

Yes, I do occasionally have to build my own packages for things, but
dh-make-perl makes doing that falling-down easy, uscan makes it easy to
see when upgrades have come out, git-buildpackage makes tracking all of
it simplicity in itself...

I simply do not see the need.  On Debian, with the ecosystem it
provides, and the tools that it provides to help you supplement when
necessary...if you're using perlbrew, you're working too hard.

Mike.

OK, I can see your point on dh-make-perl and such. One of the reasons why I didn't
use your approach was to avoid messing with the system Perl too much (as in
your scheme you probably need to update outdated Perl modules which can break
legacy Perl applications).

Thanks for your posts and I would be too grateful to get a more detailed
explanation :-).

Regards
        Racke

Interchange Development Team