Re: Math::Prime::Util and Math::Prime::Util::GMP

On Wednesday 19 December 2012 11:24:48 Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> the thing is, the functionality of factor.pl is exactly the same as that
> of /usr/bin/factor.

I wasn't aware of that. This makes my whole argument moot :-/

> hm.  i'm not convinced.  this does what one would expect (factors its
> input) and it does so in the same way (and with the same output format)
> as the more-common utility from coreutils.  The difference is that it's
> the perl implementation.

okay. then factor-perl or factor-bigint may make more sense.

> By your argument, shouldn't coreutils also change the name of
> /usr/bin/factor?  If it did, we'd be back in the same scenario again :/

Well, if this direction leads to update-alternatives: coreutils would provide
/usr/bin/factor-core, we'd provide /usr/bin/factor-perl. Depending on sysadmin
setup, /usr/bin/factor would point to one of them.

This may be a bit heavy handed for this program :-/

I'm afraid that I've no better idea :-(

All the best

--
 https://github.com/dod38fr/   -o- http://search.cpan.org/~ddumont/