Re: Math::Prime::Util and Math::Prime::Util::GMP

On Wednesday 19 December 2012 08:52:39 Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> I'm preparing the packages myself, but i'd be very happy to share the
> maintenance work with the excellent pkg-perl team, so i'm putting the
> packaging repositories up on git.d.o in the pkg-perl space.  Please let
> me know if there's a problem with that.

No problem. You've also updated mrconfig, which is even better.

> The one concern i've encountered with these modules is that
> Math::Prime::Util wants to install factor.pl and primes.pl into
> /usr/bin, which runs afoul of debian policy 10.4 (and lintian's
> script-with-language-extension check).  i've renamed primes.pl to
> primes, but /usr/bin/factor is provided by coreutils already, which i
> obviously don't want to conflict with. :)
>
> I considered renaming factor.pl to factor-perl, but that just seems like
> pointless divergence from upstream -- if the point is to indicate the
> language used, then factor.pl succeeds already.

The point is to indicate what kind of functionality this factor program will
bring. The user does not (usually) care about the implementation language.

Another example of such a rename is the node program from nodejs project.
/usr/bin/node has been renamed to /usr/bin/nodejs (not node.js)

You can add a prefix or a suffix. For example that comes into mind is "math-
factor". I'm sure a better name can be found.

HTH

--
 https://github.com/dod38fr/   -o- http://search.cpan.org/~ddumont/
http://ddumont.wordpress.com/  -o-   irc: dod at irc.debian.org