Re: Error 'local changes detected' on META.yml during package build

On Sun, 2012-10-07 at 14:24 -0400, gregor herrmann wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Oct 2012 13:46:04 -0400, Robert James Clay wrote:
> > dpkg-source: info: local changes detected, the modified files are:
> > libnet-citadel-perl-0.15/META.yml
> > dpkg-source: error: aborting due to unexpected upstream changes,
> > see /tmp/libnet-citadel-perl_0.15-1.diff.O6XDnt
>
> Which probably means that the .orig.tar.gz (created from the
> pristine-tar branch) is different than the master branch.

   But from where is it seeing that difference?  That's what I'd like to
figure out, so I can do something about it.

> Hm, I'm not sure what's going on here.
> My assumption is that that the upstream branch in our repo is not
> created by git-import-orig

    I originally cloned the Net::Citadel gitpan repo at GitHub but
started over and used 'dh-make-perl --pkg-perl' to create what became
the public repository at pkg-perl.

>  but comes from your upstream repo, right?

   I use the same local repo for both the debian packaging and now the
module development & maintenance as well, with the additional branches
now for working on the module itself not being pushed to the pkg-perl
repo; but yes, that's how I've tried it with the last couple of versions
I tried packaging.

> (And it's then merged into master.)

   Yes; after it's tagged & I've created & committed both distribution
and 'orig' archives, I merge that to the 'upstream' branch and from
there to the 'master' branch. That's merged to the 'debian' branch; once
the packaging work is done, that's merged back to the 'master' branch
and intended for release. That's how I thought it was going to work...

> And pristine-tar is then run manually later with the created .tar.gz?

   Yes; after tagging the version being released and creating
the .tag.gz archive, I ran 'pristine-tar commit' on it for both the
distribution archive (for CPAN) and (after renaming the original
archive) the 'orig' archive.

> So the difference seems to be between META.yml in your upstream repo
> (the "raw" file) and the META.yml in your upstream tarball; or in
> other words: the release process seems to somehow modify META.yml.

   I'm not sure where in the process it's seeing the modification, and
it's only happening when I use git-buildpackage (which I presume is how
you found the issue).  And, IIRC, doing a diff on the version of the
file as tagged in the repo and the version of the file extracted from
the 'orig' archive does not find any differences...  (I'll be testing
that some more...)  And running debuild manually on the same v0.15-1
debian directory and the same 'orig' archive results in a successful
build.

RJ Clay
jame@rocasa.us