Re: Multiarching perl

gregor herrmann <gregoa@debian.org> writes:
> On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 12:46:12 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> What if we do this: stop providing perlapi frm perl-base and instead have
>> perl provide perlapi?  Otherwise, keep the dependencies and Multi-Arch
>> designations the same.  This means that anything that needs the Perl API
>> will have to pull in the full standard perl package, but I think that's
>> reasonable.

> At least libuuid-perl currently has:
> Depends: perl-base (>= 5.14.2-3), perlapi-5.14.2, ...
> (and is a reverse-depends of linux-base and doc-base and causes all
> kinds of troubles on each dist-upgrade).
> Not sure if this is relevant, it just came to my mind :)

I wonder if we should bite the bullet and bless a small number of
particularly critical Perl XS modules in a way that treats them
differently than the vast majority of other modules and, for those modules
only, version the package name.  In other words, for these sorts of Perl
XS modules that are effectively pseudo-essential, have a libuuid-perl5.14
and libuuid-perl5.12, both of which depend only on libperl5.14 and
libperl5.12 and not on perlapi-5.14.2, and a libuuid-perl metapackage that
changes which version it depends on when we do a Perl transition.  That
way, you would get both versions of libuuid-perl installed during the
upgrade transition.