Re: Mass-filing bug against use of '/usr/bin/env perl' shebang line

* [Wed, Aug 01, 2012 at 07:17:57PM +0200] Gian Piero Carrubba:
Anyway I've found no quotes in Debian policies about scripting languages other than shell and Perl.

Sorry, not being packaged in the debian-policy package, I assumed there was no `official' Python policy.[0] Anyway it's listed in [1], definitively an official page. In 3.1[2] it reads: "Programs that can run with any version of Python must begin with #!/usr/bin/python or #!/usr/bin/env python (the former is strongly preferred).". So the use of `/usr/bin/env' is explicitly permitted, even if not preferred. Anyway it seems to me there are other mechanisms that can limit the problem in the case of Python:

§3.1.1
"A program using /usr/bin/python as interpreter can come up with private Python modules.". I assume this means that using `/usr/bin/env' prevents the possibility of shipping private modules.

§3.2
"A program which requires a specific version of Python must begin with #!/usr/bin/pythonX.Y (or #!/usr/bin/env pythonX.Y)."

Having very limited knowledge of Python and none of custom Python environments, I cannot judge whether the third case I can think of (dependencies on external modules) is still a problem.

Ciao,
Gian Piero.

[0] wishlist bug just opened

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/devel-manuals#policy