Re: "Avoiding the vendor perl fad diet"

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Damyan Ivanov <dmn@debian.org> wrote:
>> So I recently thought how to solve this.
>> One solution could be to use separate local::lib directories for each
>> application. That would include some duplicate module installations
>> but that would reduce the risk.
>
> You seem to have re-invented the Ruby gems hell :)
>
> Bundling your application with the versions you know are working is
> bad. You sacrifice security upgrades and bug-fixes that somebody else
> does for you. And, sooner or later you will have to upgrade. Better
> make that part of the whole process than some extraordinary event.
>
> Better spend resources making sure any upgrades are harmless, probably
> by having a test environment, or always using the latest version when
> developing (so that you can catch any problems early). Any
> incompatibility is either a bug and should be fixed, or applications
> should be adapted.

That sounds good in theory but cannot be always followed.
There are limited resources any given time. One cannot re-test
every application, every time and, especially with older applications,
test coverage might be very low.

That means any unnecessary change is an unnecessary risk.
[1]

> Here's my recipe for deploying Perl applications:
>
>  * ensure every dependency is packaged for Debian. If not, package it
>   (this was why I joined the Debian Perl group :)
>  * develop with current versions from Debian/unstable
>  * deploy application as a Debian package, with proper dependencies
>  * profit
>
> Works very nice even for applications that have only one instance in
> production and is a killer for multi-instance deployments.

Running Debian/unstable on a production machine sounds very risky.
If I understand, that means a lot of things are unstable
and I constantly need to upgrade. Even the kernel.
Which means frequent reboots as well. Right?

Gabor
[1] It's interesting that sometimes I am in the opposite position and
managers tell me about
the risk and why they don't want to upgrade :)