Re: Add me to the Perl group please!

On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 23:26:58 +0800, James Bromberger wrote:

> > - I'd remove d/libchi-driver-memcached-perl.docs, the README is just
> > a text version of the POD
> > - d/copyright: the years of upstream copyright are missing (probably
> > 2007-2011)
> > - d/control:
> > * Vcs-* headers are missing
> > * libchi-perl doesn't need a version (nothing older in the archive)
> > * short description should be a noun phrase
> > * (totally cosmetic): Build-Depends-Indep could be wrapped
> Great! Thanks very much Gregor - updated in git version 0.14-2, built
> and re-uploaded with these fixes.

Thanks you!

Again some minor remarks:

The Vcs-* headers are about the packaing, so they should read:

Vcs-Git: git://git.debian.org/pkg-perl/packages/libchi-driver-memcached-perl.git
Vcs-Browser: http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-perl/packages/libchi-driver-memcached-perl.git

libchi-perl has still an unndeeded version in Depends.

Add the build dependencies improves the test situation but not much:

t/CHIDriverTests-Fast.t .......... skipped: No memcached instance running at 127.0.0.1:11211
t/CHIDriverTests-libmemcached.t .. skipped: one of required modules not installed: Cache::Memcached::libmemcached
t/CHIDriverTests-Memcached.t ..... skipped: No memcached instance running at 127.0.0.1:11211

Looks like memcached itself is also needed (I haven't tested if this works
in a chroot).

> > Looking at the git repo:
> > * there's no upstream and no pristine-tar branch
> > * there are no tags
> > If you haven't pushed them please do so, otherwise you can use the
> > git-missing-upstream script (in our scripts repo) to recreate them.
> I'm a little confused by this. I think I have the tag for the 0.14-2
> release sorted (as per doco, debcommit -a -r && git push && git push
> --tags).

Yup, the debian/0.14-2 tag is there.

> I have the orig.tar.gz sitting in ../ - where do I push that
> to? If I push to a separate branch, how do I make this branch (in a
> separate check out of my git repo?)?

You can check with `git branch -a' which branches you actually have.
There should be 3 (master, pristine-tar and upstream), and the same 3
as remote branches.
If they exist locally, you can just push them with `git push --all'.
(Some for tags: `git tag' and `git push --tags').

If the branches are missing locally, you can easily create them by
running the git-missing-upstream script form our scripts repo from
the source directory with the .orig.tar.gz in ../.

If that doesn't help either we have to wait for some git expert to
help us out here :)

> I generated this with dh-make-perl [option?] --cpan Foo --vcs git, so
> supposedly this already has an upstream and pristine-tar branch (again,
> I'm new to git today, so not sure how I see these branches in my repo).

Hm, yes, they should be there with this command.

(Btw: running dh-make-perl with --pkg-perl gives you some goodies
like the correct Vcs-* headers).

> > ++<<<<<<< HEAD
> > +Test::Deep = 0
> > +Test::Exception = 0
> >
> > If I'm reading this correctly you've added two lines to dist.ini;
> Perfectly correct interpretation. The original dist.ini that was
> generated from dh-make-perl missed two critical build dependencies

dist.ini is not generated by dh-make-perl but shipped in the upstream
tarball (if they are using Dist::Zilla).
Ah, maybe you mean dh-make-perl didn't add the build dependencies
because they are missing upstream (in dist.ini, META.yml and
Makefile.PL)? Yes, that's an upstream bug apparently.

> Many thanks or the time taken to review this and help me.

You're welcome!

 .''`.   Homepage: http://info.comodo.priv.at/ - OpenPGP key ID: 0x8649AA06
   `-    NP: The Eagles: Hotel California