Re: Applications in the Perl Group

On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 13:48:44 -0500, Jonathan Yu wrote:

> However, the real purpose for this message is to establish a policy
> for the future.

Thanks for bringing this up and driving it further.

I have no strong opinions here, but I see the point of treating
more-app-than-lib packages differently. What I'd like to have is a
clear and simple policy so I know what I have to do :)

Looking at http://wiki.debian.org/DebianPerlGroup/OpenTasks/Applications
it seems the rules could be:

1) For packages providing libs and scripts:
   - source package libfoo-perl
   - binary package libfoo-perl
     provides: foo
     (or optional: additional binary package foo)
     for well-known/important/... tools

2) For applications (App::Foo):
   - source package foo
   - binary package foo
   - (optional: binary package libfoo/something-perl if there are
     libs that can be reused)

Am I reading this correctly?

If yes, I'm ok with it, and hope that others are quicker to share
their opinions than I was :)

And then someone would have to propose a good wording and a patch for
website/policy.pod.

(And maybe Debian Perl Policy 4.2, unless we don't to go that way is
1) above doesn't change anything and 2) maybe doesn't apply?)

 .''`.   http://info.comodo.priv.at/ -- GPG key IDs: 0x8649AA06, 0x00F3CFE4
   `-    NP: Pink Floyd: Welcome To The Machine