Re: Proposal: Drop extraneous "New upstream release" in changelogs

On Sat, Jan 01, 2011 at 11:21:23AM -0500, Jonathan Yu wrote:
PROPOSAL

Here is what I am proposing:

1. If there are changes in addition to only "New upstream release"
(e.g. this includes if someone examines the package and says, let's
IGNORE-VERSION; or otherwise updates other things corresponding to the
upstream diff, such as updating debian/copyright), then we maintain
the current practise of tracking versions upgraded to:

[ Jonathan Yu ]
* New upstream release
* Update debian/copyright information per upstream

would become:

[ Jonathan Yu ]
* New upstream release 1.1
* Update debian/copyright information per upstream

2. If the only message someone has left was "New upstream release",
then we should remove their clause, assume they made no further
changes and perform everything else as usual.

[ Jonathan Yu ]
* New upstream release

[ gregor herrmann ]
* New upstream release
* Update debian/copyright information per upstream

would become:

[ gregor herrmann ]
* New upstream release
* Update debian/copyright information per upstream

CONCLUSIONS

I think the proposed solution is fairer to people who do all the
actual work of upgrading a package (I don't feel I should deserve any
credit in example 2 for simply doing: svn-upgrade --uscan; svn commit)
-- gregoa is the one that ends up having to examine the whole diff
anyway, as he can't assume that I've inspected anything at all.

I propose a third style of moving (and merging) upgrades to new upstream releases outside of user credited subsections, like this:

  * New upstream release

  [ gregor herrmann ]
  * Update debian/copyright information per upstream

This IMO reflects better the fact that none of us really "do" any of the new upstream releases, we just apply them. Any actual work on our side should endup as patches or other changes to the debian subdir, and then could be listed appropriately credited the person doing that work.

 - Jonas