Re: padre maintenance

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 05:05:24PM +0300, Damyan Ivanov wrote:
> -=| Dominic Hargreaves, Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 10:35:45AM +0100 |=-

> > Hmm, I might be inclined to not retroactively 'fix' the current state,
> > but branch from the last unstable tag to a new 'unstable' branch,
> > whilst master is currently being used to the experimental work. This
> > would make the history cleaner.
> >
> > Incidentally there is an obsolete 'experimental' branch which probably
> > wants to be deleted.
>
> I think this will be confusing in the long term. The rest of the
> group's ackages use 'master' for unstable packaging.
>
> Anyway, feel free to fix what seems broken in a way that fits you.

Yes, consistency with pkg-perl practices is important too. I was about
to go ahead and attempt to do this, but then realised that reverting merges
is more involved than I'm comfortable with, and probably makes for a
worse surprise when we come to remerge the changes (see
/usr/share/doc/git-doc/howto/evert-a-faulty-merge.txt for the gory
details). So I'm going to branch from the tag as originally intended.
The new branch is called 'unstable'.

I tried to delete the old 'experimental' branch, to reduce confusion,
but the update hook installed in repo on git.debian.org blocks branch
deletions. Is this deliberate, or can we safely change that (setting
hooks.allowdeletebranch)?