Building ExtUtils::MakeMaker-based projects out-of-tree

Hi,

I am maintaining two autoconf-based projects (hivex, libguestfs) that
bring along Python and Perl bindings, among others. The Perl bindings
are built using ExtUtils::MakeMaker.

Because I want to build the Python module for multiple, I have already
tweaked upstream's autoconf stuff to enable out-of-tree builds
($(srcdir) != $(builddir)).

Is there an easy way to achieve this for ExtUtils::MakeMaker (or any
other Perl build system)? At the moment, I set up symlinks, but I am
interested if this can be done directly using one of the Perl module
build systems.

Cheers,
-Hilko