Re: Nama - merging an upstream version with git

On Sun, Aug 07, 2011 at 10:33:49PM -1000, Joel Roth wrote:
> After watching Damyan's termcast/IRC presentation this
> morning, I thought I'd try to merge an upstream version
> of Nama.
>
> I followed the Debian Perl Git Guide[1].
>
> To be able to use ssh, I ended up just wiping out
> my ~/.ssh/known_hosts file. (Couldn't figure out
> how to replace outdated keys.)
>
> The steps I used were:
>
> gbp-clone --all --pristine-tar ssh://git.debian.org/git/pkg-perl/packages/nama.git
> uscan
> git fetch origin upstream:upstream pristine-tar:pristine-tar
> git-import-orig --pristine-tar ../nama_1.076.orig.tar.gz
>
> I resolved the merge conflicts and committed (git commit)
>
> Once again, I'm finding that I'm getting weird results
> due to quilt patches being left in an applied state
> after building.
>
> Also, I have some confusing stuff in an auto-created
> patch debian-changes-1.076.
>
> I'd rather not maintain patches, would prefer
> to make the fixes upstream and release another
> version.
>
> For now, I would appreciate a review to help decide
> what needs done.

% git diff master..upstream --name-only
debian/changelog
debian/compat
debian/control
debian/copyright
debian/patches/series
debian/patches/whatis.patch
debian/rules
debian/source/format
debian/watch
lib/Audio/Nama.pm
script/nama

Seems like you have not really fixed all the conflicts (see script/nama and
lib/Audio/Nama.pm). FYI the "-X theirs" option of git-merge may come in
hand in the future. If you see that you are getting too much merge
conflicts, you may use the --no-merge option of git-import-orig and then run
"git merge upstream/<newversion> -X theirs" manually to get all the
conflicts automatically resolved (which is what svn-buildpackage does...
don't know why git-buildpackage doesn't).

For automatically unapplying patches after build, you may add the option
"unapply-patches" to debian/source/local-option.

Cheers

--
perl -E'$_=q;$/= @{[@_]};and s;\S+;<inidehG ordnasselA>;eg;say~~reverse'