Re: Git migration update

Alessandro Ghedini <al3xbio@gmail.com> writes:
>> Some prefer to update debian/changelog with each commit, others leave
>> this to the git-dch(1) tool at package release time.
>
> Having worked with git for some time, I find that the first option
> (updating d/changelog at each commit) makes way harder to cherry pick,
> revert, bisect, and backport changes. Given that subversion misses many of
> the features that git has, this was not a problem in the svn days, but now
> I think it would ease the maintainance of the packages if everyone goes for
> option 2 and use git-dch(1) before releasing.
>
> For the same reasons I think it should be preferred and made clear in the
> docs the "one change per commit" policy.

I don't think this is a good idea for pkg-perl as PET would be
confused: it uses the version number to notice changes, and even with
that changed it would not have anything useful to show (as the changelog
would not have changed).

Without a changelog, we also cannot use the "IGNORE-VERSION" feature
of PET (once PET3 has it anyway).

Regards,
Ansgar