Re: Git migration update

On Mon, 1 Aug 2011 17:32:35 +0200, Alessandro Ghedini <al3xbio@gmail.com> wrote:

> Having worked with git for some time, I find that the first option
> (updating d/changelog at each commit) makes way harder to cherry pick,
> revert, bisect, and backport changes. Given that subversion misses many of
> the features that git has, this was not a problem in the svn days, but now
> I think it would ease the maintainance of the packages if everyone goes for
> option 2 and use git-dch(1) before releasing.

I don't mind a policy of having changelog modifications in separate
commits (although I frankly rarely do fancy stuff with packaging
commits) but I would object pretty strenuously to mandating git-dch (or
any other tool) to write changelogs. Of course if people find it
convenient, then great.  I think as a team we should be very cautious
about enlarging the set of tools needed to work with our packages.  So
far, for people not doing mass commits, it is quite practical to use git
and a text editor. I hope it stays that way.