Re: Greetings and Introductions

On Sat, 04 Jun 2011 18:09:02 +1000, Ingy dot Net wrote:

> My name is Ingy döt Net. I am an Acmeist <http://acmeism.org/> computer
> programmer.

Hi and welcome!

> I have been heavily involved in the Perl community for over 10 years. I
> started Module::Install, with the intent of making the packaging of Perl
> modules as simple and powerful as possible. I have recently started
> Module::Package, which takes this ambition even further. More of interest, I
> have started Debian::Perl, with the express intent of turning seasoned CPAN
> authors into Debian maintainers.

I think what would help distributions most is not if CPAN authors can
automatically create packages but if they get enough help to release
their stuff in a way that makes it easy for distributions to pick it
up.

IIRC there was some effort around
Module::CPANTS::Kwalitee::Repackageable (and
Module::CPANTS::Kwalitee::Distros etc.) which went into this
direction. Gabor might be able to tell more about the state and future
of this initiative.

It might be cool to start from that and offer tools for CPAN authors
to check packageability before an upload to the CPAN.

 .''`.   Homepage: http://info.comodo.priv.at/ - PGP/GPG key ID: 0x8649AA06
   `-    NP: Dawn Landes: Bodyguard