Re: Greetings and Introductions

Le Saturday 4 June 2011 10:09:02, Ingy dot Net a écrit :
> More of interest,
> I have started Debian::Perl, with the express intent of turning seasoned
> CPAN authors into Debian maintainers.

That's a worthy goal :-)

> The plan is the same as always, make things as easy as a single command:
> 'make debian', but make sure that the results satisfy everyone's
> requirements. I hope to take the best tools on both the Debian side and the
> Perl side, and keep polishing things, until maintaining Debian packages is
> something that CPAN authors "just do".
>
> I realize that while I have pioneered many paths in the Perl world, I am
> still quite new to the Debian world. That's why I'm here.
>
> Glad to be here, Ingy

As a CPAN author, debian-perl team member and soon to be debian
developer (*), I'm very glad to welcome you. :-)

To improve Debian::Perl, you should also consider the Debian::Dpkg [1]
models provided with Config::Model. Like lintian, these tools also
aim to validate debian/* files [2]. But before building the
packages. Hence package developement cycles should be shorter.
(note: I consider Config::Model to be complementary to lintian)

They also aim at providing an easy way to tune the resulting
packages by providing an optional GUI (real men can also use
the command line ;-) )

Currently, only debian/control debian/copyright and
debian/source/* can be validated (or edited).

All the best

Dominique

(*) <nudge>if xoswald can find some tuit to read my prose</nudge> ;-)

[1] http://search.cpan.org/dist/Config-Model/lib/Config/Model/models/Debian/Dpkg.pod

[2] http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/config-model/index.php?title=Using_Config-Model
    This doc was generated from Debian dpkg models and is still a bit rough with some pod
    errors. Sorry about that. I'll try to fix this for next release.

--
http://config-model.wiki.sourceforge.net/ -o- http://search.cpan.org/~ddumont/
http://www.ohloh.net/accounts/ddumont     -o- http://ddumont.wordpress.com/