Re: Distribution installer that defaults to Debian? Code at github!!

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 02:42:29PM -0500, David Golden wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 2:23 PM, Joel Roth <joelz@pobox.com> wrote:
>  https://github.com/bolangi/cpanminus-debian
>
> I get it now.  I think you'll eventually want to rename it away but
> that's can be done later.
>
> I just want to take a minute to sketch what I think the general steps
> need to be:
>
> * module name -> INDEX -> package (tarball, apt, etc)
> * package -> DEPENDENCY ANALYSIS -> dependency modules (and then recurse)
> * package -> INSTALLER -> done!
>
> Different INDEX components could exist for different sources and a
> program could try several in order.
>
> DEPENDENCY ANALYSIS is very different for a "binary" package versus a
> CPAN source package, with the latter case complicated by the need to
> untar the package and run Makefile.PL and Build.PL and the variety of
> pre-conditions for configuring, testing, etc.  I think cpanminus'
> approach is "you get everything installed" whereas CPAN tries to give
> you the option of installing configure/build/test dependencies
> temporarily only for the duration of an install session.  If you avoid
> that and stick with the approach that all dependencies need to be
> installed (though checking for circularity), then life is much, much
> easier.
>
> And then the INSTALLER is easy for binary packages and only slightly
> more complicated for a CPAN distribution package in that you have to
> build and should test as well before installing, and for Debian, you
> have to decide where you want users to install modules (e.g. whether
> they need to run under sudo).
>
> I think if you focus on having really distinct components like that,
> then it's easy to stick the wrapper around them that toggles between
> options.

Hi David,

It's great that you can think of the process in the large.

I've been piggybacking on Miyagawa's implemented vision of
that process, and so far my efforts have been in the small.
:-) At the moment, all I do is have some code that runs just
before cpanm installs a module. It asks:

+ do we have a debian module/version that satisfies this?
+ if so install it with apt-get
+ if we succeeded return true from cpanm's install routine
+ otherwise let cpanm do what it was going to do anyway

This doesn't necessary address the case that the
user supplies a URL or a path to a distribution
and clearly wants that source (and *not* a Debianized
package.)

Due to my abilities, I'm tending to add just enough to
get the behaviors I want, leaving edge cases to be
addressed as they cause user itching, redness and
irritation. :-)

I appreciate your thoughts on this, and will try to
incorporate them. At the moment, I'd like to do as
you suggest, segregate out the code I've hacked in
so that there could be a more pluggable way to allow
other installers (RPM, yum and friends) to accomplish
the same goals.

Joel