Re: Distribution installer that defaults to Debian? Code at github!!

Sorry, I originally sent this to the wrong list.

--
Joel Roth
--- Begin Message ---
On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 01:36:26PM -1000, Joel Roth wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I often find myself going through the same ritual
> when installing a new module, say Something::Great
>
> Do I have it already?
>
>     perl -MSomething::Great -e 1
>
> Does Debian have it?
>
>     apt-cache search libsomething-great-perl
>
> If Debian has it, I install with apt-get, if not,
> I install with a CPAN client (these days cpanm)
> into a local::lib.
>
> Is anyone aware of some tool that does this?  Otherwise I might
> write a simple script.

Hi again,

I dived into cpanminus and hacked in apt-get support
for installing packages and their dependencies.

What I didn't get is how to see what version of a Debian
package is ready to install. (Version is checked *after*
installation.)

Note that Debian support is conditional on
* `which perl` returning /usr/bin/perl (to play safe with perlbrew)
* Dpkg::Version and Debian::AptContents are installed

Also note that this hacked cpanm executes
'sudo apt-get --assume-yes install libfoo-perl'.
It doesn't (but probably should) require the -S|--sudo
flag.

Finally, I didn't follow Miyagawa's OO coding practices...
just threw in variables and subs. Proof of concept,
so to say.

Let me know it's at all interesting or useful to you.

Joel

--
Joel Roth

--- End Message ---