Re: Consolidating changelog entries for the same author?

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 02:35:32PM +0100, gregor herrmann wrote:
On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 14:48:23 +0200, Peter Pentchev wrote:

This probably is a stupid question, but still I feel a bit safer asking, although I've acted on my own opinion once or twice already - hope I haven't stepped on many toes :)

So-called "stupid" questions are often the best.  Keep 'em coming! :-D

Apparently, some of the changelog editing tools may add two sections for the same author in the same changelog entry if somebody else has written something else in the meantime;

That's debchange, which has two settings:

# Introduce multiple-maintainer markers in changelog sections?
# DEBCHANGE_MULTIMAINT=yes
#
# When appending to a multiple-maintainer changelog, if there are
# existing changes made by the current maintainer, should new
# changelog entries be appended to the existing entries?
# DEBCHANGE_MULTIMAINT_MERGE=no

I.e. by setting DEBCHANGE_MULTIMAINT_MERGE to yes in ~/.devscripts
these additional sections could be avoided.

Ah, I didn't know it could be avoided.

Is it okay for other team members to consolidate the entries in later updates, as I've done in rev. 67659 with the changelog of libhttp-request-params-perl? Or is there a reason people would want two stanzas in the changelog?

I'm always a bit hesitant to change other people's entries; for my own entries: plese go ahead and merge/remove/change/... them in a way that makes sense for the final changelog stanza we deliver to users.

I agree that it is a delicate matter to "mess" with entries written by others. But that is a social issue more than a technical one IMO.

Technically I see the inside of each changelog section as not needing chronological order - it just happens to be easier by _default_ to add each new stanza below the prior ones, and therefore to spawn multiple sections for same author.

I always merge entries when I socially feel confident that my fellow authors won't feel bad about me messing with "their" texts. But that's just me personally, and allover Debian - seldom here in the Perl team where I am not most active.

Hope that helps,

 - Jonas