Re: Consolidating changelog entries for the same author?

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 14:48:23 +0200, Peter Pentchev wrote:

> This probably is a stupid question, but still I feel a bit safer
> asking, although I've acted on my own opinion once or twice already -
> hope I haven't stepped on many toes :)

I think it's a good question. I'm also unsure about how to handle
this situation, and was just too lazy to start a discussion :)

> Apparently, some of the changelog editing tools may add two sections for
> the same author in the same changelog entry if somebody else has written
> something else in the meantime;

That's debchange, which has two settings:

# Introduce multiple-maintainer markers in changelog sections?
# DEBCHANGE_MULTIMAINT=yes
#
# When appending to a multiple-maintainer changelog, if there are
# existing changes made by the current maintainer, should new
# changelog entries be appended to the existing entries?
# DEBCHANGE_MULTIMAINT_MERGE=no

I.e. by setting DEBCHANGE_MULTIMAINT_MERGE to yes in ~/.devscripts
these additional sections could be avoided.

> Is it okay for other team members to consolidate the
> entries in later updates, as I've done in rev. 67659 with the changelog
> of libhttp-request-params-perl?  Or is there a reason people would want
> two stanzas in the changelog?

I'm always a bit hesitant to change other people's entries; for my
own entries: plese go ahead and merge/remove/change/... them in a way
that makes sense for the final changelog stanza we deliver to users.

 .''`.   http://info.comodo.priv.at/ -- GPG key IDs: 0x8649AA06, 0x00F3CFE4
   `-    "One's never alone with a rubber duck. "