Re: List of modules I need

On 11 Aug 2010, at 13:47, Jozef Kutej wrote:

> On 2010-08-11 10:51, Richard Holland wrote:
>> So basically you're saying that even if someone fixed
>> LWP::Parallel::UserAgent itself so that the libwww-perl 5.808 dependency was
>> no longer required, there's no way I can build an Ensembl .deb because
>> there's no way of bringing in the other old dependency it needs
>> (bioperl-1.2.3)? Short of changing the Ensembl code itself, that is?
>
> Using old dependencies is a hack to keep something working for a while. Putting
> time and effort in old unmaintained dependencies is better spend with fixind the
> code to work with new versions. It is also more interesting and motivating for
> volunteers :)

The codebase is vast, outside of my control, I have no commit access to it, and the developers don't allow external input for any major change like updating dependencies... :(

I wish I could change it but unfortunately I can't. So I have to resort to putting pressure on them externally, and in the meantime finding workaround ways of getting the old dependencies in there.

> If you really really want to keep the old versions, then the best way is to
> package it for your self, have special repository and use package pinning to
> prevent upgrades.

I think the special repository route is the way to go. However even then I have issues because the libwww-perl is a prerequisite of some other dependencies which are not version-sensitive, and I can't uninstall that without uninstalling the others too - I end up with a web of dependent packages which I have to mirror. So your last suggestion below, hosted on an independent purpose-built repository until such stage where the original code developers can get these dependencies fixed, may be the only option.

> Or have those dependencies in a special lib/ folder, use PERL5LIB env or add
> that folder directly to @INC. Installing old module versions system wide would
> be asking for troubles.

From what I understood, that's not acceptable Debian policy - although it does seem the easiest way around the issue! But this policy only applies to packages in Debian itself. In my own repository my packages can do what they like - so I think the way forward is to package Ensembl with the old dependenices integrated into its own internal PERL5LIB that is only accessible to itself, as you suggest, then host it in my own repository.

At least I know a way forward now!

Thanks everyone for all your help so far.

cheers,
Richard