Re: Minutes of the pkg-perl BoF at DebConf 10

Hi,

أحمد المحمودي <aelmahmoudy@sabily.org> writes:

> On Sat, Aug 07, 2010 at 05:50:35PM -0400, gregor herrmann wrote:
>> Ansgar asks do we need checkouts of the whole tree?
>> D. Bremner: Yeah, we'd most likely need to do that.
> ---end quoted text---
>
>   If the transition to git would be done, would that mean that all
>   packages will be in the same git repo ? Or each package will reside in
>   its own git repository. Please note that due to the nature of git, one
>   needs to checkout the whole tree, which will be too much download size
>   if all packages will be in the same git repo.

Every package will have its own repository.  I think we all agree on
this and it is also how the packages we already have in Git are handled
today.

Having a single, large repository will have several disadvantages:
 · hard to remove single packages including history (license problems,
   should be rare as long as we are allowed to distribute the package
   even when its not DFSG-free),
 · lots of merges when people work on different packages at the same
   time,
 · it's, well, larger.

But we still want to have whole-tree checkout.  And it should be
reasonably fast to update this.

Regards,
Ansgar