Re: "use Perl; Annual meeting of the Debian Perl Group" (or: pkg-perl BoF at DebConf)

On Aug 6, 2010, at 05:22, Xavier Oswald wrote:

> On 19:43 Thu 05 Aug     , gregor herrmann wrote:
>> Just a short reminder: In less than 24 hours, the pkg-perl BoF will
>> take place at DebConf10.
>>
>> #v+
>> use Perl;
>> Annual meeting of the Debian Perl Group
>>
>> The pkg-perl team will again take the opportunity to meet in person
>> for discussing current topics and planning future work.
>>
>> Items for discussion and work are collected at
>> http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebianPerlGroup/OpenTasks
>>
>> If you have some topics you want to see discussed please add them to
>> the above URL or just reply to these mail.
>
> Im sorry to not be there :(
>
> I saw an item about svn to git migration.. I think we should keep svn and have
> the possibility to have git too. And thus having PET tracking both of them.

I think this is a great idea. I think it might be a lot of work and I think it will most likely take a good deal of co-ordination. There was a talk on using git for packages at DebConf, I know dam uses git, or I believe he does, to manage packages and of course the perl binary in debian itself is managed in git. So it looks like there is momentum and a set of best practices for doing this. I do think we'll want to think about any transition carefully since a lot of our tooling is built around our current set up.

> Maybe after the discussion at debconf it could be nice to set up a table with
> what need to be done and the person taking care of which topic.

Great idea.

Jeremiah