Re: Status on libmojolicious-perl ITP?

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 06:09:55PM +0200, gregor herrmann wrote:
On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 17:50:32 +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

>* Package name      : libmojolicious-perl
Any news on above ITP?

The only thing I know:
It's in pkg-perl's svn repository with a note in debian/changelog
about missing work.
(And a newer upstream release is available.)

Ah, ok.

During my packaging I notice that upstream use "Artistic-2" as
license, which I believe is not DFSG-free.

Hu? That's new to me.
And you shouldn't tell it all Artistic-2-only packages in the archive
:)

Ah - I confused this with Artistic-1 (without GPL dual-licensing). Agreed, there is no problem with this licensing.

I notice Jonathan registered the ITP, but I guess it was on behalf
of the Perl team.  Would it be ok that I release my packaging as
official (when the licensing issue is hopefully solved)?

Or you could finish Jonathan's package ...

(I don't care either way, I just suggest to avoid duplicated work as
much as possible.)

My packaging is on behalf of the Perl team, but one possible issue could be that I use CDBS which Jonathan might not favor.

In practice this means that hardly anybody will touch the package,
but that's nothing new and not the first package in this situation :)

...so it seems you do care after all ;-)

It is not the first time I hear the meme of "hardly anyone" using CDBS. That is not my experience, but whatever...

Personally I use CDBS for all the packages that I am involved in packaging, as I find that most effective. Also, I need occasionally to backport to Lenny and earlier, and have found it quite difficult to do so with short-form dh style packaging.

I therefore have no interest in packaging unless using CDBS.

I shall not "infect" the pending libmojolicious-perl package with my weird packaging preference, but just cross my fingers that some ordinary Debian Developer pay some interest in it instead.

Kind regards,

 - Jonas