Re: [rt.cpan.org #58445] overzealous usage of configure_requires considered harmful

-=| gregor herrmann, Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 08:48:38PM +0200 |=-
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 17:04:41 +0200, Tina Mueller wrote:
>
> > >Unless I'm missing something the advice for people using
> > >Module::Build on Debian is (as usual): use the Debian package instead
> > >of fetching the module manually from CPAN.
> > Well, if I could, I would.
> > The version of libmodule-build-perl on lenny is 0.2808.01 as far as I
> > can see.
>
> Ok, if you are bound to using lenny but need newer versions it gets
> more complicated indeed.
>
> > Now, there are modules which require a newer version. That's the
> > whole reason why we are trying to build a package.
> > Since we package all modules we use in debian and redhat packages,
> > we want to build Module::Build so that if we package modules
> > which require a new version of M::B we don't have to get the new
> > M::B version manually all the time.
>
> I think I see your point now.
>
> If I needed a newer version in lenny I'd probably try to install the
> version from testing or unstable or to backport the relevant packages
> from there before building a new package from scratch.
>
> (You probably run into problems with some prerequisites that need
> newer versions, but that's not different than when creating a package
> from scratch or using a newer version from CPAN.)

When I am in a situation like this, I the following actions in order.

 1. Install the package from squeeze or sid. Most of the time this
    works right away and APT pinning helps not to pull the whole
    distribution into the stable environment.
 2. Backport the package from squeeze or sid. This is seldom
    necessary. The most common case is modules with XS.

In both cases I get the needed newer version, together with any
adjustments the package maintainer has done. In no circumstances
starting the package anew is going to be better integrated with the
rest of the system.

Finally, backporting is so common, that there is an unofficial (yet)
service dedicated to it. http://backports.org/  (run by Debian
developers).

> Independent of the M::B question: If you have questions regarding
> debian packages for perl modules feel free to ask at
> debian-perl@lists.debian.org or on IRC (#debian-perl at the OFTC
> network).

Seconded. The group is full of friendly people loving both Perl and
Debian. If yo have a problem related to Perl in Debian, this is the
place to ask.