Re: [rt.cpan.org #58445] overzealous usage of configure_requires considered harmful

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 09:03:07 -0400, Jonathan Yu wrote:

> > So. The svn repository of Module::Build contains the correct files
> > for building debian packages already.
> >
> > But they are not in the CPAN package, and that was what I was asking for.
> > Could you just deliver those two files in the CPAN package?
> I am not sure if this would break our build of libmodule-build-perl,
> as having a debian/ directory in upstream tarballs tends to confuse
> our tools (which then think, and rightly so, that the package is a
> Debian native package instead of an upstream package we're
> distributing).

No. With source format v1 a debian/ dir was a pain, with source
format v3 this pain is mostly gone.

But both formats don't decide about native vs. non-native by looking
at debian/ in the .orig.tar.gz; v1 just needs an appropriately named
.orig.tar.gz (and a correct version in debian/changelog) in the right
place; with v3 we have the explicit choice between "3.0 (quilt)" and
"3.0 (native)".

That's what libmodule-build-perl in Debian basically does already.

Unless I'm missing something the advice for people using
Module::Build on Debian is (as usual): use the Debian package instead
of fetching the module manually from CPAN.

Hm, I've never heard about such complaints before, but I might be
missing some aspect.

Anyway: From a Debian point of view having debian/* files in the
upstream tarball requires a tiny bit of additional care but is no
problem. So if it helps anybody feel free to go ahead.

(Maybe someone else has additional input.)

And thanks for contacting us about this question!

 .''`.   http://info.comodo.priv.at/ -- GPG key IDs: 0x8649AA06, 0x00F3CFE4
   `-    NP: Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds: Supernaturally