Re: Naming policy for Perl modules (mass bug filing)

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 10:59:33 +0100, Jozef Kutej wrote:

> > A consistent schema is easier for searching, for downloading
> > (source|binary) package, for finding a package's bugs or PTS page,
> > for "blindly" adding dependencies ...
> consistent_schema++ that is for sure. on the other hand if the demand for it is
> based on searching and lookup, why don't we create a script to look up any Perl
> module and return the proper Debian package name for it?

Like that:

gregoa@belanna:~$ type afsp
afsp is a function
afsp ()
{
    apt-file search $(echo "$@" | sed -e 's;::;/;g' -e 's;$;.pm;') | uniq
}

Or like `dh-make-perl locate'?

> besides the listed packages, there are a couple of bundles. starting with
> /perl(-base|-modules)?/, /libcatalyst-modules(-extra)?-perl/, etc. there will be
> always exceptions, right?

Right.

> one solution is what dh-make-perl uses - the apt-file index. should not be
> really complicated to extract that part in the script that will accept
> Module::Name or Module/Name.pm and return Debian package name.

Luckily the locate command already exists in dh-make-perl :)

> the other way is the script I've committed recently [1] that returns the package
> names with Perl versions.

Which is also nice!

> one or the other, it would be really helpful to have a tool to look for Perl
> module in Debian. the "root/base" package name hides a lot of module names that
> are currently hidden inside.

I agree that this task will remain to exists.

Still I think that more consistency -- although no high priority -- helps a bit.
(So these questions are independent for me.)

As a side note: IIRC all of the few involved packages are not
maintained by the Debian Perl Group, so we can't do a lot about them
anyway. IMO it's fine if Ansgar files the bugs, then we'll see what
happens anyway.

 .''`.   http://info.comodo.priv.at/ -- GPG Key IDs: 0x8649AA06, 0x00F3CFE4
   `-    NP: Dire Straits: One World