Re: Joining the Debian Perl team

On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 13:10:57 +0100, Jozef Kutej wrote:

> I would like to join Debian Perl team because I'm a Perl programmer and I really
> like Debian, the Debian release cycle and packaging. My CPAN id is JKUTEJ. In
> Perl I like to do system tasks automations and testing.

Cool!
It's always helpful to have experienced people in the group.

> I've bin experimenting with dh-make-perl and filed a couple of minor/whish list
> bugs some days ago. Actually is this the way how to do it? Or should the
> maintainer be first consulted?

Filing bugs is perfect.
And now you can also fix them as a member of the group :)

> How should I start? Is there anyone that know what and how just don't enough time?

In general: a good starting point is our welcome page at the wiki:
http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebianPerlGroup/Welcome
It should point you to the relevant docs about our workflow, and to
tools and resources ...

Besides our everyday work (new upstream versions, small packaging
bugs, ...) there are some areas where help might be most appropriate:

* Fixing bugs in general.
* Especially: fixing release-critical bugs (nicely collected at the
  top of our PET page [0])
* Forwarding bugs upstream.
* Forwarding patches upstream.

Personally I'd like to have 2 or 3 more helper scripts, if your
interested in such infrastructure work I could write up my ideas :)

Improvements for dh-make-perl or PET are also always welcome.

And before my wishlist gets too long: What would _you_ like to work on
in the perl group?

> My alioth user id is: jozef-guest

I've added you to the project on alioth -- welcome aboard!

[0] http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/pet.cgi

--
 .''`.   http://info.comodo.priv.at/ -- GPG Key IDs: 0x8649AA06, 0x00F3CFE4
   `-    NP: Jim Carrey: Somebody To Love